Fees and Deadlines
- $45.00 – Early Bird Deadline June 22, 2021
- $55.00 – Regular Deadline September 21, 2021
- $65.00 – Extended Deadline October 19, 2021
- $75.00 – Last Chance Deadline November 9, 2021
Dates reflect deadlines for electronic submission of scripts. All entries must be electronically submitted by midnight (Pacific Time) on their respective deadlines.
- The Big Break Screenwriting Contest only accepts online entry of feature film and television screenplays (original pilot scripts only – miniseries cannot be accepted).
- No printed scripts will be accepted.
- To enter your script electronically, you must submit your screenplay in Final Draft (FDX) or PDF format.
You are not required to use Final Draft in order to enter the Contest.
- All submissions should consist of:
– Full-length screenplays (approximately 80 to 120 pages);
– Teleplays (hour-long approximately 40 to 70 pages, half hour approximately 20 to 35 pages).
- Any entries over 150 pages WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. Entries less than 20 pages that are clearly not a screenplay (short stories, comic books, etc.) will also be disqualified.
- All necessary information is captured upon entry of digital submissions, so title pages should be removed or contact information must be deleted from the title page. The title of the script will be provided to the reader as part of the file name and in the judging form.
- Do NOT include personally identifying information (name, etc.) ANYWHERE in your script as this will result in INSTANT DISQUALIFICATION. This includes:
– Writers name, WGA or representation info on the title page;
– Writers name on ANY page of the script;
– Writers name within the script’s file name.
- Entry should consist of a screenplay or teleplay only. Do not include resumes, pitches, synopses, casting suggestions, letters, or other supporting documentation with your submission. Judges will not receive these materials.
- The exception is original hour-long and half-hour TV entries, which may include standard supplementary materials, such as lists of recurring characters and future episodes, as part of the screenplay. This information would need to be included within the same file, at the end of the script.
- Entrants may submit multiple entries. Each submission must include its own entry form, a separate file and separate entry fee. Entries will be considered for the genre prize in each category and for the grand prize in either feature film or television.
- The Big Break Contest is open to any individual who is 18 years of age or older at the date of entry and has access to the Internet.
- Employees, officers, directors, contractors and agents (and their immediate families and household members regardless of where they live, or members of the same households (whether related or not) of Cast & Crew Production Software, dba Final Draft and its respective divisions, affiliates, subsidiaries, agents, Big Break Contest sponsors, and advertising agencies (collectively, the “contest providers”), are not eligible to participate in the Contest or to win any prize.
- Screenplays under option at the time of submission are not eligible.
- Adaptations are not eligible unless the source material was written by the screenwriter of the entry in question. Scripts are not eligible if the source material has been sold, produced, or is currently under option to any third party.
- Grand Prize winners in Features and TV and category finalists are not eligible to re-enter their winning scripts in future Big Break Contests. They are, however, eligible to enter different scripts for consideration. Grand Prize Feature and TV winners, as well as category finalists, receive a free entry in the 2022 Big Break Contest as part of their 2021 prize package.
Co-Writers and Prize Division
- Screenplays written by up to four people may be entered into the contest. Only one entry fee is required for such entries. All writers’ names should be listed on the online entry – if they are not, your co-writer’s name will not be reflected on our website if your screenplay advances in the contest. List the writer who will be the primary contact first, and include the address, telephone, and email for that person only. All writers must authorize submission of the entry. By clicking Submit, all writers authorize the submission.
- If a screenplay written by multiple writers is one of either of the Grand Prize winners, Cast & Crew Production Software, dba Final Draft will pay airfare and hotel for up to two writers, and two writers will have the option to attend meetings with studio executives and agents. All cash awards will be split equally between all writers. If a screenplay written by multiple writers is any of the category finalists or Grand Prize winners, prizes will be divided at writers’ discretion but only one of each prize will be distributed.
Revisions, Refunds, and Resubmissions
- In order to run a fair contest for all entrants, revisions or missing pages will not be accepted under any circumstances once an entry has been received.
- Once an entry has been submitted and payment has been processed no refunds will be issued.
- If the script is rewritten during the entry submission period, the writer(s) may resubmit a script as a new entry for consideration in the contest. A resubmitted script is treated as a new entry and requires an entry fee.
Ownership and Industry Release
- Big Break Contest entrants retain all rights to their screenplays.
- By entering the Big Break Contest, you represent and affirm that your entry is an original creative work, and does not infringe, misappropriate or violate the copyright, trademark or other intellectual rights of any third party.
- By entering the Big Break Contest, you acknowledge and agree that contest Judges receive numerous submissions of ideas, stories and scripts, and that your entry, and the ideas and stories embodied in it, may be similar or identical to other material already received and/or developed by one or more of the Judges. You also agree that you are not entitled to any compensation or credit for use by contest Judges of any such other material.
- By agreeing to these Rules and Conditions you agree that you have read the rules of the contest and that you have the authorization to submit this screenplay to the Big Break Contest. You further agree that your screenplay is owned by you (and co-author(s)).
- VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
- The entrant shall indemnify and hold harmless Cast & Crew Production Software, dba Final Draft its employees, contractors, agents and Big Break Judges from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, and/or publicity to the Screenplay entered.